Everywhere you look these days you see women with big, long, beautiful lashes. The latest trend has certainly got to be eyelash extensions. Maybe you've considered looking into getting you own dramatic eye fringe. Well we have got the scoop first hand on the options as well as our own experience with both eyelash extensions and growing your own with Latisse®. Recently one of our employees, who has been a long time lover of Latisse® decided to give extensions a try. Her lashes were already to die for, thanks to Latisse®, and our patients commented frequently asking how she got them so long. Well as the saying goes, "the grass is not always greener on the other side". One morning she came in with the most beautiful set of lash extensions but quickly she began realizing something wasn't quite right. The outer corner of her lids began to get red, itchy and swollen. She was having an allergic reaction to the glue! The lashes were removed and another set put on after the swelling and irritation subsided and this time using a glue that was made for sensitive eyes. To everyone's surprise, she was still allergic to the sensitive glue as well, but this time, her body reacted so strongly that many of her own lashes actually fell out. Our little Latisse® poster girl was now practically lash-less. Now 2-3 months later with consistent Latisse® usage her lashes are back and as good as ever.
LASH EXTENSION BENEFITS
- Instant Results
- Full, thick long lashes
- No mascara needed
LASH EXTENSION POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS OR DOWNFALLS
- Frequent fills usually ranging between 2-3 weeks
- COST, $250 to $600, depending on how many lashes are applied, the type of lash, the skill level of the technician and where you are located.
- Possible irritation and allergy. We always recommend asking them to due a skin patch test with the glue before application.
- Loss of your own natural lashes due to irritation or improper application or removal.
- TIME! Getting lash extensions takes time, lots and lots of time.
Things to think know: If applied correctly and properly (and you do not have any sensitivity to the glue), lash extensions should not harm your own natural lashes. If you decide to invest in lash extensions we recommend that you find a reputable professional to apply them.
- Grow your own full, thick, long lashes
- Cost is approx $155 for 5ml that last an average of 6-9 months
- Mascara not required but makes them that much more dramatic
LATISSE® POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS OR DOWNFALLS
- The waiting game. On average it takes 12-16 weeks before you lashes really start to pop.
- itching sensation in the eyes and/or eye redness. (This was reported in approximately 4% of patients.)
- Skin darkening and redness of the eyelids. See here for a full list of side effects.
- By RX from a physician or Medical Aesthetician